Monday, September 21, 2009

The Great What's Next.

Last Friday- I look up from talking with Madeline and Cheryl, and Spencer has taken off-- clear across the field that borders the playground. He's not looking back. He's not playfully daring me to come get him. He's just trucking into the great What's Next. I pass Nora to Cheryl and sprint (ok, I can't sprint anymore, I amble, I hurry) to get my son. I'm supposed to feel good that he feels loved enough to be comfortable to run off without a backward glance, right? Okay...

Today began with our first music class at MacPhail (lots of fun banging, singing and dancing... I need to be reminded it's too early to just hand him a violin); a visit to the fire station (Firefighter Isabelle let him turn on the lights on the firetruck, and had him officially welcomed on a radio station that, according to the Captain, was heard all over the city!)... and ended with (God bless) Melissa watching Nora while Spence and I wowed the Temple Israel Sisterhood. I wowed them talking about foreclosure prevention; Spence had an accident on the way over and wowed them by waltzing in pantless-- just a diaper, t-shirt, socks and his new size-9 silver sneakers... waving and grinning and grabbing grapes.

Nora, meanwhile, managed to be cute enough to stop traffic, despite teething and a fever. I have to say my favorite moment of the day was lunch at Riverview Cafe (Spence gnaws on a blueberry scone after I scold the incredulous barista for not selling peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches)... and the two of them start grinning and giggling at each other. I was background, food provider, face wiper, it was all about the brother and sister, living it up, without a backward glance, into the great What's Next.

No comments:

Post a Comment